Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pink Trees: Part 2: Faceless Fear


Paranoia (Haunted Club Mix)
Apoptygma Berzerk





One day you'll realize that you were wrong 
You'll regret that all this happened 
Some day you'll realize that you were wrong 
To be left with Paranoia, as your only friend...
Your mind is full of enemies, the room is full of energies


That want to take control
They're all around you, and you're all alone
Your mind is full of enemies, the room is full of energies
Haunting your soul
They're all around you, and you're on your own





I'm a little fuzzy on the length of time the house was on the market, but I think it was just about 6 weeks.  Pretty good in a bad market.  During that time, amidst the stress of showings, I would take some time here and there to go driving around.  I'd look up houses on the MLS, and drive by some of them to see where they were.  I pinpointed a general area that I thought would be good, and seemed to have a few options.  Since most houses were on the market for a long time, there wasn't any real rush.  I didn't think we'd have any trouble finding something in our price range.

Our house sold!  We got just as much as we needed to make our move.  We had 6 weeks lead time until closing. This was great.  Then I opened my email the next day.  There was a note from my mortgage broker, saying something to the effect of, "Congratulations!  Cydny told me the house sold!  Based on your sale price of $xxx,xxx, and wanting to purchase in the $xxx,xxx range, your new payment would be..." $OHCRAPWHATHAPPENED???

The panic I felt that moment is burned into my memory.  As my heart goes into full panic mode - shaking, sweating, etc. I quickly sent an email back to her telling her that this number is $800/mo higher than what we had talked about before!  Was there a mistake?  We just SOLD our HOUSE.

I can't recall if she called me back or if I called her, but burned in again is me standing in the boys' room talking to her on the phone and hearing, "I'm SO sorry, I can't believe I did this.  Your last loan was an interest only loan, and I forgot to uncheck that box when quoting your new loan.  I have never done this before in my whole career."  We went back and forth a little about how this is a HUGE amount.  We've got kids in private school, we don't have this kind of flexibility and now we've just sold our house.  I was a disaster.  Didn't even want to tell Mike, but obviously I had to.  He was livid.

Poor, poor, Cydny.  The most professional realtor ever.  I never knew that realtors had to be counselors too!  I called her up and told her what was going on, she listened as I freaked out (embarrassingly - I was even crying on the phone.  I don't cry often.  Almost never.  Couldn't help it.)  She was very understanding and sympathetic.  She encouraged me that we would be able to find something we like in our new price range.  She told me that the MB (who shall remain nameless) was also crying on the phone and wishing she could just GIVE us money to make up for the mistake, etc.

End result was that Cydny would print up some listings and bring them over and we could see that there were still options.  I contacted another mortgage broker, a dad from our kids' school and asked if he would run numbers for us, and explained to him what happened.

Over the next couple days, Mike was angry, I was upset and full of anxiety.  We had tried to be so careful not to make any mistakes, and had moved forward on this whole deal based on a bad quote from day 1.  Now, we were in a position that we might have to settle for 'just a house that we can afford', and if we were going to do that, we would have stayed in the one we had!  Alas, that was no longer an option.  It was already sold.

The last 2 houses we'd bought were ones that we refer to as having 'potential'.  We liked them, but they needed some updating, work here, work there, etc.  We were really trying to avoid potential in this move.  We didn't have the time or money to put into it right now.

One last heart attack during this week.  The inspection was set for Friday.  Since we've never sold a house in the conventional manner before, I didn't know what to expect for the inspection.  I thought it was all techy stuff done by the inspector.  I get a call at work from Cydny, and she somewhat frantically asks me, "Rebecca! Did you forget the inspection today?"  "What?  No!  Why?"  She responds, "The house is a mess!  The buyers are there and it's a mess!"  "What?  I didn't know the buyers would be there!  We raced out this morning and were running late.  There are some dishes in the kitchen and stuff, but it shouldn't be THAT bad."  I'm in full panic mode again. I called Mike, he totally stepped up and called Cydny, and told her not to call me with any more bad news.  Call him now.  My wife can't handle it.  :)  They call me back a little later and she had talked to the other realtor and they were all fine, no big deal, etc.  OK.  Heart rate can go back to normal sometime today.

...to be continued...



Black Pawn
___________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment